Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Saturday, March 28, 2020
You can go to the Wollongong Website to find out our Parish Account and to apply to give Electronically.
Why?No weekly mass also means no weekly mass collection on the plate. But the work of the Parish goes on, albeit in a new and different way.
Many people are also struggling with job losses, reduced working hours, or just uncertainty about their future.
Our staff and volunteers will be called upon even more to minister to the physical and psychological needs of our community.
Many are already donating their time, expertise, materials and finances to keeping the Parish accessible and active via online means.
Any financial or other assistance that you can give at this time would be most welcome.
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Bishop Brian Mascord updated the directives as Prime Minister Scott Morrison defined places of worship as non-essential and directed churches, religious gatherings, and places of worship close from midday today, Monday 23 March 2020.
He directed the following for the Diocese of Wollongong:
• Public Masses and liturgies—both indoor and outdoor—are suspended until further notice (as directed in my statement on 19 March 2020).
• Baptisms on church premises are to cease from midday on Monday, 23 March 2020.
• Church buildings, adoration chapels and other church buildings used for prayer and religious services are to remain closed from midday on Monday, 23 March 2020.
• Holy Communion is not to be given to anyone, including the sick, except as Viaticum for the dying. If Viaticum for the dying is celebrated this is done according to the procedures set out in my previous directives on 19 March 2020.
* The NSW government has advised that the shutdown of religious gatherings and places of worship exclude “small weddings and funerals that comply with the 4m2 rule, which can proceed”. with only immediate family in attendance.
So with our Parish we will follow the directives of our Bishop
- The church will not be opened for adoration.
- Baptisms and Sacramental Programs will be postponed until the pandemic is over
- Our weekday Mass will be lived streaming at 9.00am instead of 9.30am.
- Our Weekend Mass will be lived streaming at 9.00am on Sunday.
- Any suggestions that you would like to suggest that we should do in this time please email us.
- We, your priests, are always with you and for you. We are in your service. If you need us please ring or email the parish office.
In the meantime, keep safe, look after yourself, your family, and people from your neighbourhood. We should pray for each other and trusting that God is still in control.
Yours in Christ,
Fr John Ho
Friday, March 20, 2020
IMPORTANT: THERE WILL BE NO PUBLIC MASSES THIS WEEKEND AND ONWARD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
After considering the recent advice from the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and direction from the Federal and NSW Governments, the following measures will be in place, effective Saturday 21 March 2020:
- No public Masses will be celebrated in the Diocese of Wollongong.
- All faithful in the diocese will be dispensed from the obligation to physically attend Mass on Sundays. However, parishioners can honour their Sunday obligation by participating in a time of prayer within the home, reading the Scriptures, or watching Mass on television/online (canon 87 §1 , canon 1248 §2).
- Mass will continue to be said privately by priests throughout the diocese on behalf of the faithful on a daily basis.
- Churches will, as far as possible, remain open for private prayer.
These decisions have not been made lightly. I understand this news may be upsetting, and I share your sadness. However, it is our responsibility as a pastoral community to put the care of our members—especially the most vulnerable—first. At this stage, the most effective way we can do this is to temporarily suspend public participation at Mass.
The St John’s Nerds are investigating ways to make mass and other devotions available via the interweb.
More info at https://www.dow.org.au/covid-19/
Thursday, March 12, 2020